ASUS Transformer Pad TF300 Jelly Bean update arrives, Motorola posts XYBOARD 8.2 and 10.1 ICS infoAlex Wagner - Senior News Editor
Looks like this weekend just got quite a bit better for owners of the ASUS Transformer Pad TF300. ASUS has announced the TF300's Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update on its official Facebook page, and owners of the slate are reporting that the new software is indeed making its way out into the wild. The update bumps the TF300 up to Android 4.1.1, and along with all of the usual Jelly Bean goodnes, TF300 users can to find new power saving options, global file search and improvements to several of the device's pre-installed apps.
In other Android tablet update news, it appears that Motorola has made the Wi-Fi-only XYBOARD 8.2 and XYBOARD 10.1's updates to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich officially official. Both XYBOARDs will be updated to Android 4.0.4. Motorola has posted a hefty changelog for the updates, which you can find below, but some of the highlights include quicker screen rotation, Microsoft Exchange improvements and better overall stability.
We've known for a while that the Transformer Pad TF300 would be updated to Android 4.1, but it's still nice to see the new software actually begin rolling out, especially since it's one of only a handful of Android devices that've officially been bumped up to Jelly Bean. As for the XYBOARDs, some owners of these Motorola slates may have been getting a little antsy lately since the devices were expected to be updated in "early Q3," but hey, at least the bumps up to ICS appear to have finally arrived. If you've got any of these three Android tablets, dive into your settings menu and check to see if you've got a tasty new dessert waiting for you!
Who Can Use This Release:
- All Motorola XYBOARD 10.1 and 8.2 WIFI users.
After downloading and installing the software release, you will notice:
- Updated Browser with faster rendering, zoom and pan: Users can also now save pages for offline reading and request desktop versions of websites.
- Swipe to dismiss notifications and recent apps: You can now dismiss individual notifications and apps from the Recent Apps list with a simple swipe of a finger.
- Redesigned app launcher: In All Apps launcher, you can now simply drag an app to get information about it, immediately uninstall it, or disable a pre-installed app.
- New System Font for Improved Readability: An entirely new typeface (called Roboto) optimized for high resolution screens improves readability and brings a polished feel to the user interface.
- Updated “People” Application: Replaces contacts and integrates seamlessly with Google+ and other social networks.
- Improved text input and spell-checking: The keyboard now features improved accuracy to make text input faster. It also now includes an in-line spell checker to make corrections easier.
- Type with your voice: Now you can simply touch the microphone on the keyboard and start talking to write emails, or any other text—more than 20 languages supported. Text appears in real time, so there’s no waiting for server processing.
- Richer and versatile imaging capabilities: For new flexibility and convenience while shooting video, you can now take snapshots at full video resolution just by tapping the screen as video continues to record. For capturing larger scenes, the camera introduces a single motion panorama mode. You can also launch camera directly from the Lockscreen. When you shoot videos, you can now choose from a number of silly faces and other fun effects which recognize individual facial features so you can give your friends big eyes, squeeze heads, make noses bigger, or change the scenery with background replacement.
- Redesigned Gallery app with photo editor: To help pictures look their best, the Gallery now offers a powerful photo editor so you can crop and rotate pictures, set levels, remove red eyes, add effects, and much more.
- Richer, resizable widgets: You can expand widgets to show more content, or shrink them to save space.
- Quicker screen rotation
- A new setting to choose whether the power button immediately locks the device or not: shows up only when you have a pattern, PIN or password lock, it then lets you set a timer for how long it takes to lock after pressing the sleep button.
- Microsoft Exchange improvements with additional EAS policies
- Improved stability
- Face Unlock: Face Unlock is a new screen-lock option that lets you unlock your device with your face. It takes advantage of the device front-facing camera and state-of-the-art facial recognition technology to register a face during setup and then to recognize it again when unlocking the device. Just hold your device in front of your face to unlock, or use back up PIN or pattern.