Verizon confirms Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Ice Cream Sandwich update now rolling out in phasesAlex Wagner - Senior News Editor
Heads up, Verizon Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 owners, because that Ice Cream Sandwich software update that we told you about last week is now rolling out. Verizon has confirmed that the new software has indeed begun making its way to users, adding that it'll be hitting Tab 10.1s in phases. As we noted before, the update includes a bump up to Android 4.0.4 as well as a redesigned Gallery app, new camera capabilities and a way for users to monitor their data usage. The full changelog from Verizon is available at the bottom of this post.
The Ice Cream Sandwich update for Verizon's Galaxy Tab 10.1 comes around a month after the Wi-Fi-only model got its own Android 4.0 bump, but I'm sure that most folks that own Big Red's version of the device are just glad to finally be on a more up-to-date version of Google's OS. If you're a member of the Verizon Galaxy Tab 10.1 Owners Club, keep an eye out for this 248MB update in the coming days, and don't forget to swing by the comments section below once it finally hits your neck of the woods to tell us how it's working for you. Happy updating!
- Your Quick Panel has been updated to give you fast access to Driving Mode, Sync and more.
- Monitor your data usage all in one place. Set warning levels, check individual app usage or turn off data completely.
- Important Note: The on-device Data Usage meter may not match the amount of data for which the customer will be charged by Verizon Wireless.
- The My Verizon Mobile app reflects billable data usage and best indicator of how much of the current month’s data allowance has been used.
BROWSER DESKTOP VIEW
- Take advantage of a more robust browser experience with the new Desktop View option that has been added in browser.
- Calculator will display a “Keep It Simple” basic calculator. The Scientific Calculator will appear when switched to Landscape Mode.
Additional features to this upgrade include:
- Applied Android Ice Cream (ICS) OS upgrade to 4.0.4.
- Pinch to Zoom functionality has been added in homescreen and main menu screen.
- Google Plus has been integrated.
- Google Text-To-Speech Engine has been integrated in the upgrade.
- In Email search menu, search criteria by date, sender & title.
- In Email Composer, ‘undo’ and ‘redo’ options have been added.
- A quick response message may be quickly inserted into the body while composing a message.
- Initiate a ‘New Meeting Invitation’ for Exchange accounts.
- Redesigned Gallery app with photo editor includes:
- More ways to sort albums by time, location, people and tags.
- Photo studio that allows users to crop and rotate pictures, set levels and remove red eyes.
- Improved Picture Gallery widget lets users look at pictures directly on their home screen.
- Rich and versatile camera capabilities including:
- Continuous focus.
- Android 4.0 Zero shutter lag exposure.
- Stabilized image zoom.
- Built-in face detection to locate faces in the frame and automatically set focus.
- Single-motion panorama.
- Apps can now set custom metering regions in a camera preview.
- Wi-Fi Direct support by Android platform.
- Android 4.0 introduces built-in support for connecting to Bluetooth Health Device Profile (HDP) devices, With support from third-party apps, users can connect to wireless medical devices and sensors in hospitals, fitness centers, homes and elsewhere.